World Bank Gives FG $800m For Subsidy Removal Palliatives For Poor Nigerians

Sadiya-Farouq
Spread the love

As part of palliative efforts to reduce the negative impacts of the plan to eliminate subsidies on petroleum products by June 2023, the Federal Government has received the sum of $800 million from the World Bank under the National Social Investment Plan.

During the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Wednesday, the Minister of Finance, Budget, and National Planning, Hajiya Zainab Ahmed, made the announcement while taking questions from media from State House.

She stated that the fund that had been secured was prepared for distribution.

Asked about the palliatives that would be put in place ahead of the removal subsidy on the premium motor spirit popularly known as petrol, the minister said: “The second question on exit of fuel subsidy, this is a commitment in the Petroleum Industry Bill. There is a provision that says that 18 months after the effectiveness of the PIA that all petroleum products must be deregulated, that 18 months takes us to June 2023.

“We’re on course, we’re having different stakeholder engagements, we’ve secured some funding from the World Bank, that is the first tranche of palliatives that will enable us give cash transfers to the most vulnerable in our society that have now been registered in a national social register. Today that register has a list of 10 million households. 10 million households are equivalent to about 50 million Nigerians.

“But we also have to raise more resources to enable us do more than just the cash transfers and also in our engagements with the various stakeholders, the various kinds of tasks that we have go beyond the requirement of just giving cash transfers. Labour, for example, might be looking for mass transit for its members.

“So, there are several things that we’re still planning and working on, some we can start executing quickly, some are more medium-term implementation.”

When asked how much funding was received from the World Bank for the execution of the planned exit, she said “$800 million for the scale up of the National Social Investment Programme at the World Bank and it’s secured, it’s ready for this disbursement”.

Asked if the incumbent government had been discussing subsidy removal with the incoming administration, she said, “there are a lot of discussions going on at different levels, including with members of the transition committee of the incoming government”.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp