Mr. Ikechukwu Uwanna, the outgoing Chairman of the NBA Lagos Branch, and Mr. Olabisi Makanjuola, the Chairman-Elect, have established a joint transition committee. This committee’s purpose is to facilitate a seamless transfer of governance structures and administration within the Branch.
According to a statement released by the Branch Publicity Secretary, the committee will be led by Mrs. Abiye Tam-George, the current Vice Chairlady of the Branch. Mrs. Esther Jimoh, the Vice-Chairlady-elect, will act as the Alternate Chairlady. Mr. Emuobonuvie Majemite, the Secretary-elect, will assume the role of the committee’s Secretary.
Additionally, the committee includes other members such as Agba Eimunjeze, the incumbent Legal Adviser of the Branch, Fernandez Marcus-Obiene, Fikayo Ogunrinde, and Justice John. Both the outgoing Chairman and Chairman-elect will serve as ex-officio members of the committee.
“The committee is headed by the current Vice Chairlady of the Branch, Mrs. Abiye Tam-George, while the Vice-Chairlady-elect, Mrs. Esther Jimoh will serve as the Alternate Chairlady. The Secretary-elect, Mr. Emuobonuvie Majemite will serve as the Secretary of the transition committee. Other members of the committee include Agba Eimunjeze, the current Legal Adviser of the Branch, Fernandez Marcus-Obiene, Fikayo Ogunrinde, and Justice John. The outgoing Chairman and Chairman-elect will both serve as ex-officio members of the committee.” Abiye Tam-George said.
The statement highlights that the NBA Lagos Branch has established a groundbreaking transition committee, marking a significant milestone in its history. Under the leadership of Mr. Uwanna, the outgoing administration has consistently endeavored to institutionalize governance processes within the Lagos Branch. Recognizing the importance of aligning with international best practices, one of our key priorities upon assuming office two years ago was to revamp the governance processes of the NBA Lagos Branch. Our aim was to ensure a seamless transfer of these processes to future administrations, promoting continuous improvement.
As part of this effort, all elected Executive Members of the Branch, as well as Standing and Ad-hoc Committees, will be required to submit comprehensive hand-over reports. These reports will summarize their activities over the past two years and provide recommendations for the incoming administration. It is our hope that this practice will become the standard for future administrations of our Branch, as we collectively strive to uphold our esteemed position as the foremost legal association in Nigeria.
“The transition committee, the first of it’s kind in the history of the NBA Lagos Branch, is another unique legacy of the outgoing administration of the NBA Lagos Branch led by Mr. Uwanna, which has taken consistent steps to institutionalize the governance processes of the Lagos Branch. One of the first issues we identified two years ago when we assumed office was the need to transform the governance processes of the NBA Lagos Branch in line with international best practices, and to ensure that we transfer these processes to the administration after us for continuous improvement.
“All elected Executive Members of the Branch, and all Standing and Ad-hoc Committees will submit detailed hand-over reports summarizing their activities in the last two years, and make recommendations for the incoming administration. We hope that this practice will become the norm for subsequent administrations of our Branch, as we work towards the collective goal of maintaining our enviable status as the Premier Bar in Nigeria.”
The terms of reference of the committee includes:
1. Knowledge Transfer: Facilitate the transfer of institutional knowledge, including historical information, policies, procedures, and best practices, from the outgoing Executive Committee to the incoming Executive Committee.
2. Document Review: Conduct a thorough review of relevant documents, such as bylaws, reports, financial records, and meeting minutes, to ensure accurate and up-to-date information is available to the new committee.
3. Handover of Responsibilities: Coordinate with outgoing committee members to ensure a comprehensive handover of responsibilities, including specific projects, ongoing initiatives, and important contacts or stakeholders.
4. Continuity Planning: Collaborate with the outgoing Executive Committee to develop a continuity plan that outlines critical tasks, deadlines, and ongoing commitments to ensure a seamless transition and avoid disruption of essential services or projects.
5.Support and Guidance: Provide ongoing support, guidance, and mentorship to the incoming committee members during the transition period, addressing their queries, clarifying processes, and helping them navigate their new roles effectively.
6. Reporting: Prepare a comprehensive transition report documenting the activities, achievements, challenges, and recommendations of the Transition Committee. This report will serve as a resource for future transitions and organizational improvement.