Iran Blames US Military Operations For Gulf Pollution, Calls For Compensation

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei accused the US military of causing the pollution on Monday, saying the environmental damage was linked to the US military presence and conflicts in the region over several decades.

Baqaei said the pollution affecting the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman was not solely connected to the latest conflict, arguing that the United States should be held responsible for the wider environmental impact.

He called for Washington to be held accountable and estimated the environmental damage at “trillions of dollars.”

The comments followed an oil spill last week in the Strait of Hormuz that reached Qeshm Island, affecting beaches and a sensitive mangrove forest.

Iran had earlier demanded compensation over the incident, with Baqaei citing preliminary evidence that a foreign bulk carrier was responsible for the spill. Iranian officials later said the oil had been completely cleaned up.

Meanwhile, Omani state media reported that another oil slick from a tanker that ran aground off Oman had reached the country’s coastline.

The tanker had reportedly remained stranded for weeks near Oman’s Al-Qibliyyah island after sustaining damage from explosions.

The latest claims have heightened concerns over the environmental impact of military activity and shipping incidents in the strategically important Gulf region.