Awujale Stool: Ruling House Petitions Abiodun Over Breakaway Faction

The Fusengbuwa Ruling House of Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, on Monday petitioned Governor Dapo Abiodun over the formation of what it described as a breakaway faction by some members of the family, urging the state government not to recognise the group in the selection process for the new Awujale of Ijebuland or in other matters affecting the ruling house.

The family also called on Abiodun to lift the over seven-month-old embargo on the selection of the new Awujale and allow the kingmakers to resume the process, saying the people of Ijebu-Ode deserved a befitting royal father.

In the petition dated August 17, 2026, and signed by the Chairman of the ruling house, AbdulLateef Owoyemi; Deputy Chairman, Oladokun Ajidagba; Vice Chairman, Prof Fassy Yusuf; and General Secretary, Pastor Bola Salami, the group urged the governor not to recognise what it described as an “illegal and lawless group.”

Copies of the petition, submitted to the Governor’s Office on Monday, were also sent to the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice; Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs; Secretary to the State Government; Chairman of Ijebu-Ode Local Government; and Chairman of the Awujale Afobajes Council.

The petition alleged that the breakaway group was led by Adeleke Adeyemi, whom the ruling house said previously belonged to the Ajidagba Unit, one of the three units that worked together to nominate candidates for the vacant Awujale stool.

The petitioners claimed that Adeyemi and his associates had embarked on activities capable of causing division within the ruling house.

“We wish to bring to Your Excellency’s attention the unorthodox formation and unlawful activities by some rebellious contestants to the Awujale stool, led by one Adeleke Adeyemi,” the petition stated.

Among the allegations contained in the petition was that Adeyemi had convened meetings purportedly in the name of the Olori Ebi of the Ajidagba Unit and, in collaboration with one Ridwan Oduneye, constituted a “Fact Finding Committee” allegedly aimed at damaging the reputations of some leaders of the ruling house.

The petitioners also alleged that the committee’s activities contravened a subsisting judgment of the Ijebu-Ode High Court in Suit No. HCJ/18/2014, which they said prohibited one unit of the ruling house from interfering in the affairs of another.

The ruling house further accused Adeyemi’s group of convening a meeting at which it sought to remove the three recognised Olori Ebis of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House—Owoyemi, Ajidagba and Yusuf.

According to the petitioners, the three leaders played key roles in the nomination of candidates for the vacant Awujale stool.

The petitioners described the nomination process as “lawful and peaceful,” saying it was conducted in compliance with the relevant law, declaration and tradition.

They also referred to an earlier petition submitted to the governor by counsel to Fuji musician, Wasiu Ayinde Marshal, popularly known as KWAM 1, Dr Wahab Shittu (SAN), in January 2026.

The ruling house, which is expected to produce the next Awujale of Ijebuland, alleged that Oduneye’s name featured in that petition as one of the members purportedly disenfranchised from the nomination exercise.
Related News

Yayi is an Egba indigene, Ogun chiefs insist
Ogun seals company for illegal dumping, waste burning
40 communities demand reconstruction of dilapidated Ogun road

The ruling house, however, argued that Oduneye and some others were not selected to participate in the exercise by their family, citing the limited capacity of the venue.

The petition further alleged that Oduneye and his father had previously admitted to visiting KWAM 1’s residence to sign a Fusengbuwa Ruling House membership form on behalf of the musician in an attempt to make him a contestant for the Awujale stool.

The ruling house described this as sacrilegious, arguing that the Fuji musician was never a member of the ruling house.

The petitioners said the alleged breakaway group had begun corresponding with the state government in an attempt to secure recognition and overturn what they described as the successful completion of the nomination process.

They urged the governor to “discountenance these distracting and destructive elements” and direct the Afobajes to return to and complete their role in the process.

Reacting to the petition, Oduneye denied the allegations, saying the ruling house leadership was attempting to distract the public.

He said the breakaway group was seeking the restructuring of the ruling house and was not interfering with the selection process.

“I am aware of the petition. We are only talking about the restructuring of our house and not about the selection process. This is not a matter that has anything to do with the government,” he said.

Oduneye added that the group wanted the leaders to defend allegations of financial inducement made against them, insisting that their removal was a family decision.

The dispute followed the recent rejection by Owoyemi, Ajidagba and Yusuf of their purported removal as leaders of the ruling house by the breakaway group.

The trio had threatened legal action against the ‘Fact-Finding Committee’, which allegedly removed them over claims of financial inducement in the Awujale selection process.

Oduneye, the secretary of the committee, said it stood by its decision and that the three leaders remained removed, following the family meeting held on August 9, 2026.

He said the family members welcomed the proposed court action, adding that litigation would provide an opportunity to determine the facts surrounding the dispute.

“Litigation is a civil way of seeking redress. The court will be the best place to establish who has betrayed the House and who is pursuing personal interest at the expense of the collective,” he said.